Caring for a loved one can be demanding — and sometimes unpredictable. You want to do everything possible to ensure your loved one gets the care and service they need, but work, family, and taking care of yourself can mean you often don’t have enough time to devote to caregiving. You may feel overwhelmed, and you may even wonder if you’re doing enough.
At VNS Health, we understand these feelings. Our caregiver support services are designed to help ease these concerns by supporting your loved one and giving you the peace of mind that they are in good hands.
Whether you have been a caregiver for some time or have recently found yourself in a caregiving role, our home care experts provide support, guidance, and tools that help you during this challenging time.
Would VNS Health Caregiver Support Services Help You?
- Have you suddenly found yourself in a caregiving role due to an illness or a medical crisis and need help getting up to speed?
- Does your loved one have multiple (or increasing) medical issues or conditions?
- Is your loved one no longer able to live alone safely — but is resistant to change or losing independence?
- Do you need help untangling your loved one’s financial or legal affairs?
- Do family members have different opinions about the best way to care for your loved one?
- Are you burned out as a caregiver?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, a care manager can provide the support you and your loved one need.
VNS Health caregiver support services are customizable, so you can get the support you need, when you need it.
Geriatric Care Management
When you need a trusted adviser to support you and ensure that your loved one is getting the care they need, VNS Health geriatric care management offers exactly that.
Geriatric care managers offer expert, hands-on assistance. You’ll have a dedicated care manager — a registered nurse or professional social worker — who can help you care for an aging or disabled loved one.
What Does a Geriatric Care Manager Do?
Your geriatric care manager oversees every aspect of care. They will act as a case manager, coordinating and overseeing your loved one’s care team. They can put together a team or work with one that you have arranged yourself. This team may include experts ranging from nurses to social workers to dietitians to attorneys.
Geriatric care managers also help by:
- Assessing your loved one’s need for care — both initially and on an ongoing basis
- Helping reduce your loved one’s hospital visits
- Making sure medications are taken properly
- Arranging for and monitoring in-home medical and personal care
- Researching and suggesting the right services, including adjusting them as your loved one’s needs change
- Helping manage financial and legal issues
- Working with contractors to make sure your loved one’s home is safe
- Taking your loved one to medical appointments, communicating with providers, and keeping you up to date on instructions and test results
- Going to other professional meetings with your loved one, such as with attorneys or financial advisers
- Helping pay bills, file insurance claims, and manage other paperwork
- Communicating with long-distance family members
Caregiving comes with many responsibilities — many of which can be overwhelming. VNS Health geriatric care managers know how to manage your loved one’s care to give you peace of mind and reassurance that your loved one is in good hands.